Sodium benzoate is an ester widely used as a food preservative. It is chemically the sodium salt of benzoic acid, and it exists in the form when dissolved in water. Chemical preservatives like sodium benzoate are used in processed consumables to stem the growth of yeast, bacteria, or any unwanted microorganisms that could spoil food. Sodium benzoate is often used in jams, beverages, salads, relishes, and fruit pies. Benzoic acid is the active ingredient of this preservative; and it occurs naturally in fruits such as apples, plums, and cranberries. Benzoic acid is found in low forms in the fruits mentioned earlier; the sodium benzoate is seen on a food product’s packaging synthesized.
About this item
- Sodium benzoate is a potent preservative, which is mostly used in acidic foods. It also serves the same purposes in cosmetics and medicines. Under these conditions, the chemical converted to benzoic acid, which has fungistatic and bacteriostatic functions.
- Sodium benzoate also has pharmaceutical applications; although most of its uses are in the food industry. It is a common chemical substance found in the foods most people consume daily. These are sodas, juice drinks, salsa, pickles, and dips.
- Sodium Benzoate is a preservative used in many cosmetic formulations such as lotions, creams, ointments, and deodorants for anti-fungal properties.
- Sodium benzoate is not a toxin or carcinogen on its own, and large amounts of it would have to be consumed, not applied topically, for any adverse effects to be seen. Overall, sodium benzoate is one of the most reliable ingredients on the market and very safe for consumers.
- Date First Available : 15 December 2020
- Manufacturer : SHRI VILAKSH ENTERPRISES KANPUR 208017 U.P Help Line: +919260992100 www.loyalgel.com
- ASIN : B08QNGJVVC
- Item part number : LSBP500G
- Country of Origin : India